Built in 1895, this house is now the Vík and Katla Geopark information center, while the Halldórskaffi restaurant occupies its West wing. Brydebúð is situated in the older section of Vík, on the west side of the village, below the so-called "banks". This small museum is at the roots of the mountain Reynisfjall, not far from the ocean.
The storefront was originally built in the Vestmann Islands in 1831 and was named Godthaabs-outlet. In the year 1895, the merchant J.P.T. Bryde bought this old storefront, had it taken apart and moved to Vik by ship.
Store business was ongoing in Brydebúð until 1980: Brydebúð (Bryde's store) from 1895 to 1914, Þorsteinn Þorsteinsson & Co. from 1914 to 1926 and Kaupfélag Skaftfellinga from 1926 to 1980.
The information center offers various services, maps, postcards, books and souvenirs for sale and is also home to the Katla Geopark exhibition.}?>